Training. It’s like studying for an exam. You can’t expect to take a test, and do well, without studying. Sure, go ahead and run that half marathon without training. I did, and it hurt. Read my first half marathon experience here.
This training is different. It is not just running. It is more…much more. It is a lifestyle change. This is the training that I currently use, which works for me. Try this training on for size. Use it all, use a portion of it, or change it to better suit your needs. I share this training as an example of what has worked for me.
1. Yoga is a primary component of my training. I think it is as important as the actual mileage.
2. I think it is important to sweat every…single…day. I take running days off, but no complete days off.
4. If you are currently running, but not running consistently, add 5 weeks pre-training to each program.
5. If you are currently not running at all, have ran in the past, and want to train for a half marathon, start with yoga by following this schedule (you can also follow this schedule if you’ve never ran before).
6. Have any questions on any of my training, Ask a Runner.