Want to start your own Run Revolution? Following is a recommended (Questions?) plan to start training! If you are a beginner runner, here are the steps to make this training smooth and fun.
1. Pick a half marathon to run no less than 5 months out. I recommend the Rock and Roll series as a first (or second, or third) half marathon. Their courses are known to be flat(ter) than most, and the bands set up at each mile bring great energy to the race. Sign up. You are now committed.
2. Research yoga studios. Ask friends/family for recommendations. I recommend Bikram yoga, but choose whatever yoga sounds best to you. Most studios offer new student discounts. Groupon, Living Social and Tippr also offer great discounts.
3. Start hydrating. Always, and I mean always, have water with you. Drink it! You are going to be sweating a lot.
3. Focus on doing yoga, and only yoga, for the next two weeks. This will prepare your body for running the mileage: stretch your muscles, build endurance, work on your breathing, and get you used to sweating.
4. Go to Road Runner Sports and use Shoe Dog. They will analyze your running and get you fitted for the right shoe for your foot.
5. Ease into running slowly by following Run Revolution’s beginner 25 week training program.
6. This is a lifestyle change, and a long term commitment. Try not to feel overwhelmed. You are doing great things for your body/mind.
If you have any questions along the way that you can’t find answers to on this site, please Ask a Runner.
Good luck and congratulations on making the decision to change your life!