Running isn’t just for marathoners anymore. Fun runs are taking the word “fun” to a whole new level. It started with the mud runs. Now we have color runs, vampire runs, foam runs, and prison break runs! What’s next?
I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical when I heard of some of these runs, especially since some of them aren’t even timed (what’s the point). But, after running the Color Run in Seattle in May, I am a big proponent of these runs. I had a blast! (Read about my colorful experience with the Color Run here).
I thought the Color Run was an original idea for a run. Apparently it isn’t the only “Color” Run, however.
Then there are the mud runs/obstacle runs with a twist:
- 5K Foam Fest ( (I’m participating June 30) (Seattle, Spokane, Portland, UT, CA, Boise, Austin, Dallas)-mud, obstacles, foam, water, fun, untimed, free beer.
- Run For Your Lives-(Indiana, CO, Seattle, MO, PA, Toronto, SoCal, MD, FL, TX)Zombie obstacle 5k/flag football (you’re given a belt with flags that represent your life. Zombies try to take your life by the end of the race)
- Zombie Survival Dash-(St. Louis, MO) 5k, mud, obstacles…and zombies
- Zombie Stomp Race-(GA) -kids 1k, 5k or 10k obstacle/mud run
- Prison Break Mud Run- (Tampa, FL)You’ve escaped from prison, and snipers (with paintball guns) are hiding in the woods to take you down!
- Hero Rush-Firefighter themed 5k intense obstacle course (TX, CA, OR, IL, NY, Carolinas, FL, TX)
Zombies seem to be really big right now (they’ve even been in the news). Instead of watching a zombie movie and yelling at the poor girl or boy to RUN from the zombies, now you can do the running from real zombies! (yep, real live/dead zombies). Oh, and if you ever wanted to know what it would feel like to escape from prison and try not to get caught, now you can actually know! Amazing.
Seems like there’s a little something for everyone these days.
I ran the Color Run (and loved it). I am running (can you call it running? Obstacling?) the Foam Fest June 30. I am jumping on the trendy run bandwagon, apparently. I like it.
What kind of unique race do you think will be next?